Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Dear Cell Phone,

I wanted to set measurable goals for the year, so I purposely left one off the list. Had it been on there, it would have read something like... "spend (much) less time attached to you, and more specifically, spend less time on Facebook." But really, shouldn't that go without saying?

I have an almost-two-year-old who provides constant entertainment with his ever-expanding vocabulary and developing dance skills. And I have a seven-month-old who needs me. She really, really needs me and wants me to look at her. She wants me to play with her. She wants me to carry her with me no matter what I am doing. So, tell me again why I would miss a second of any of that to read about other peoples' lives, most of whom I wouldn't even pick you up to call? Beats the hell out of me.

But I can say that this year I am going to be present- not just near my kids, but really in the moment. I know that time passes way too quickly and I will never have these moments again, so I don't want to miss a single one. And it all starts by just laying you down. Thankfully today I did just that. And I got to snuggle with G in his new tent. And I got to laugh with him as he tried really hard to take yet another pee in the shower. He's a little boy, what can I say? And I caught his "boomer sooner" and "go OU" cheers on video. I didn't even know he knew those words. And I got to witness these two loving each other, and that's the best thing I saw all day- much better than anything I saw on Facebook. So tomorrow I vow to again put you down, be present and enjoy every moment of their young lives. There's no doubt that it will be worth it.

I'll just keep you close enough to document some of my favorite parts.

No comments :

Post a Comment